About Me

My photo
I finally made the decision to go to Africa for 6 months.. at the time I was happily married and I had a great job doing business development for a great staffing firm. Everything was stable and good. Now I've returned to Toronto... My husband and I have split up, he's moved out and I'm single after being together for almost 10 years and I'm navigating my way back into my old job... and I thought it would be interesting to take everyone along in the new adventure.. if you're interested in reading more about my trip you can see that blog at myvsoadventure.blogspot.com.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Half way through

I can’t believe we’re almost at the end of February.. I arrived here in Siavonga exactly 3 months ago.. I’m halfway through... I can’t believe it’s been 3 months. In some ways the time has flown by and this is my regular routine and on the other hand I still feel like the new kid on the block. I feel like it’s been a lifetime since I snuggled on the sofa with my husband, or kickboxed, or went to an actual grocery store and went shopping. The other side of me says this lifestyle is so easy to get used to.. it’s hard to remember my crazy life.. working all day, going to the gym and then being social. Thinking about it makes me tired... 
This weekend I’m going to Tanzania. I’m really looking forward to getting out of our “usual” routine and see something new and exciting, hanging out just with the girls and meeting new people in Tanzania..I met a nice guy in Lusaka who is from Tanzania and is going to be there at the same time we are so I’m hoping he can show us the real Tanzania.. Elisa lived in Tanzania for 3 months so she also knows where to go other than the touristy spots. I look forward to seeing the beautiful beach!
I am very thankful for my experience here in Zambia... I think if I had found VSO earlier in my life I would have become a professional volunteer. Coming to a new place, meeting new people, learning a new culture and working along side the local people to help improve their lives.. it’s addictive really.. new foods, new activities, it’s been an amazing experience and I know there is more to come.. I am really trying to look out my front door every morning and memorize the view of the lake so that when I'm in a stressful moment at home I remember what it feels like to be stress free and in the moment. 

1 comment:

  1. That's very cool - how many of us except for kids can really say that they are living in the moment. I think it happens to me mostly when I am snuggling with Ari and just enjoying his innocence. I'm glad you are having such an appreciation of the things you are seeing in Zambia - your right it it will be something you'll never forget!
    R

    ReplyDelete