About Me

My photo
I finally made the decision to go to Africa for 6 months.. at the time I was happily married and I had a great job doing business development for a great staffing firm. Everything was stable and good. Now I've returned to Toronto... My husband and I have split up, he's moved out and I'm single after being together for almost 10 years and I'm navigating my way back into my old job... and I thought it would be interesting to take everyone along in the new adventure.. if you're interested in reading more about my trip you can see that blog at myvsoadventure.blogspot.com.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

VSO adventure over and another one begins....

What can I say really so much has changed since I last wrote.  I am getting divorced.. that’s the biggest change. Bob has just moved out of the house and I arrived home on Monday May 16th. The biggest thing I learnt in Africa is its meant to be the way it’s going to be. Whether that means people just wait for things to happen because they feel it’s beyond their control or it means that things happen for a reason and unfold in a certain way and there isn’t much you can do to stop it.. I’m not sure.. Only time will tell. I just want to acknowledge some people who have been an amazing support to me; my  mom, my best friend Jesse, and my sister in law Reesa. Thank you for all your love and support but most especially for the support you have given me in these 6 months.
I had an incredible journey in Zambia.. from arriving and missing home so much to establishing meaningful friendships and embracing the culture for all it had to offer.. I had an incredible time in Zambia and I wouldn’t exchange it for anything and I will never regret taking the plunge and doing it. I would consider doing another trip of it’s kind.
There wasn’t much about this experience I didn’t enjoy but the things I won’t miss are.. people knocking on your bedroom window asking for some favour at 7:00am on a Saturday.. and taking cold showers when it’s cool outside in the morning and sometimes having no water at all. I will miss coming home for lunch everyday.. and making fresh lemonade from the lemons in my neighbours yard. I will miss living a very laid back and stress free life. Even though there is very limited things to do I never feel bored.. it’s very strange.. you can always find something to keep yourself busy with.
There is plenty still to be fixed in Zambia but there is plenty to be fixed all around the world; everyone has their own struggle it’s how you decide to tackle and concur it..It’s the end of the VSO adventure and another adventure begins...

3 comments:

  1. Hey Wendy,
    Sorry to hear about the divorce. Travelling takes its toll on relationships both for the traveller and those left behind. I'm glad that you made it home safely from your adventure and that you enjoyed what Zambia had to offer. I enjoyed reading your blog since we started our adventures at the same time. I've got six months left in my placement in Peru! So six more months of blogging for me!
    Take care,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great thing to be a VSO Volunteer in Tajikistan. I had checked your placement, it was a nice place. shitifujon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy you're such a nasty fat sk4nk wh0re. Going to Africa under the pretense of volunteering and then fornicating with underage black village boys whilst still married to your husband. Absolutely disgusting you should be in jail. Shame on you for deserting your husband in his time of need, you're an absolute lowlife.

    ReplyDelete