About Me

My photo
I finally made the decision to go to Africa for 6 months.. at the time I was happily married and I had a great job doing business development for a great staffing firm. Everything was stable and good. Now I've returned to Toronto... My husband and I have split up, he's moved out and I'm single after being together for almost 10 years and I'm navigating my way back into my old job... and I thought it would be interesting to take everyone along in the new adventure.. if you're interested in reading more about my trip you can see that blog at myvsoadventure.blogspot.com.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Today is my 1 week celebration... I've been here for 1 week and survived

Today is my first week celebration..I’ve been here for a week and  I’ve survived... so these are the things I’ve learnt..
1.       All that will be eaten are carbs here.. I will be a vegetarian for the next 6 mths.. with a few cans of tuna and some eggs thrown in for good measure.
2.       The work I have to do at Siavonga Nutrition will not last me 6 months.. but there are a lot of agencies who can use help.. one of them being Celim.. it’s out of Italy and they are doing amazing micro-loan work here.
3.       It’s hot and I will have the best suntan of my life while living here..
4.       I will miss my husband more than worlds can express.. and although I can still have fun it’s always at the back of my mind.
5.       I will have diarrhea for the next couple of weeks.. and I’ll just get used to it.
6.       I will forever be changed by this experience and will have made new friends for life
7.       I will never be afraid of bugs again.. so far we have spiders, ants, flying maggots (which are a delicacy here.. very nice lightly fried) centipedes, a hybrid spider/moth, geckos and of course mosquitos.
8.       I will not see hot water for 6 months but it doesn’t matter because it’s really hot and we don’t need it!
9.       A cell phone is key to a good social life.. everyone sends texts all the time, it’s cheaper than taking.
10.   Zambia is beautiful in her own way.. there are some very beautiful parts and some not so nice parts but in everything there is a little bit of beauty (that sounds so cheesy but it’s really true).

3 comments:

  1. Ok so number #7 is a bit of a shocker. Did you really say Centipedes?
    #3 You better be wearing sunscreen
    #5 no bananas?
    #10 Looking forward to seeing some pics!!

    by the way - Ari loved your Chunkah present we tried to video tape him and we will hopefully have it posted on Corey's facebook profile tomorrow

    Have a good day/night whatever!
    Reesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. have i mentioned how jealous I am?

    Sounds like you have an amazing support system there; it will make your transition much easier. I can't believe your in-country training was only one day. Mine was 6 weeks in Indonesia!

    All the best Wendy; we're all thinking about you!
    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoying reading all your ventures and discoveries!!A once in a lifetime experience!!So...any pictures?If possible..
    take care and have fun!!kitty

    ReplyDelete